Thor: The Dark World Official Trailer #1 (2013) – Chris Hemsworth, Natalie Portman Movie HDThor battles an ancient race of Dark Elves led by the vengeful Malekith who threatens to plunge the universe back into darkness after the events of The Avengers.
- The crown prince of Asgard, based on the Norse mythological deity of the same name. Hemsworth stated that the film addresses unresolved issues regarding Thor’s relationships from previous films, “For Thor and Jane, there are some unanswered questions now, since obviously he didn’t stop in and catch up with her in Avengers. Thor might have some explaining to do in this one. And with Loki, we get down to the major bones of our conflict with everything that’s come from Thor to Avengers to now.”
- Natalie Portman as Jane Foster: An astrophysicist and Thor’s love interest, who is brought from Earth to Asgard by Thor for safeguarding when her life is in danger
- Tom Hiddleston as Loki:
- Thor’s adoptive brother and nemesis based on the deity of the same name, who Thor seeks for assistance against the Dark Elves. On where he wishes to take the character in the film, Hiddleston said, “I’d like to take [Loki] to his absolute rock bottom. I’d like to see him yield, essentially, to his darkest instincts. Then, having hit rock bottom, maybe come back up. I think the fascination for me about playing Loki is that, in the history of the mythology and the comic books and the Scandinavian myths, is he’s constantly dancing on this fault line of the dark side and redemption.“
- Stellan Skarsgård as Dr. Erik Selvig: Foster’s mentor and fellow scientist.
- Idris Elba as Heimdall:
- The all-seeing, all-hearing Asgardian sentry of the bifröst bridge, based on the mythological deity of the same name. Elba said he has a larger role in the sequel, “In the new film we’re going to get to know Heimdall the Asgardian a bit better, and we’re going to get to know Asgard a bit better. I can’t say too much, but the expansion of Thor in his world is going to be huge. My part was very small and functional in the first film”.
- Christopher Eccleston as Malekith the Accursed: The ruler of the Dark Elves of Svartalfheim.
- Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje as Algrim the Strong / Kurse:
- A Dark Elf, who is coerced by Malekith to fight Thor. Akinnuoye-Agbaje described Kurse as “an amalgamation of a bull and a lava-like creature. He has very animalistic tendencies but with this insatiable and unstoppable power. As an actor, that’s one of the hardest things to embody. You have to realize you are probably the most powerful thing you could imagine. And you have to be that. You can’t pretend, so that when you face Thor, it’s real.” Akinnuoye-Agbaje stated the role required three hours of make-up a day and had to put on heavy duty prosthetics explaining, “The outfit weighed about 40 pounds. I’m sure there will be a certain amount of CGI but a good 80% was me in that suit.”
- Kat Dennings as Darcy Lewis: Foster’s research assistant. Her role was expanded from that of a comic relief sidekick.
- Ray Stevenson as Volstagg: A member of the Warriors Three; a group of three Asgardian adventurers who are among Thor’s closest comrades, known for both his hearty appetite and wide girth.
- Zachary Levi as Fandral:
- A member of the Warriors Three, characterized as an irrepressible swashbuckler and romantic. Levi replaced Joshua Dallas in the role due to his commitment on Once Upon a Time. Ironically, Levi was originally up for the role in the first film but had to bow out due to his commitment on Chuck. Levi compared the character to Flynn Rider, the character he played in the animated feature, Tangled, “Fandral is a little similar to Rider in some ways… He’s like this lothario. He’s like Errol Flynn. He loves ladies, as do I”.
- Tadanobu Asano as Hogun: A member of the Warriors Three, primarily identified by his grim demeanor.
- Jaimie Alexander as Sif:
- An Asgardian warrior, Thor’s childhood friend and Jane Foster’s romantic rival, based on the deity of the same name. Alexander said there is more character development for Sif and the film explores the Sif-Thor relationship. Alexander suffered a severe back injury while on the set. About the injury, she said, “It was raining, it was dark outside, it was like 5 in the morning — and I went down a metal staircase and slipped and slipped a disc in my thoracic spine and chipped 11 of my vertebrae. I knocked my left shoulder out of place and tore my rhomboid on my right side… It took me out of filming for a month”.
- The wife of Odin, queen of Asgard, stepmother of Thor and adoptive mother of Loki, based on the mythological deity of the same name. Russo said that her role was expanded and explores Frigga’s relationship with Loki, “You know, they cut me [down] in the first film. Kenneth Branagh sent me a nice note, because he understood, he’s an actor. You move on, what are you going to do? But I think they’re going to need a good mom in the next film. Loki needs his mom. I have a lot of compassion for [Loki]. But we might have to have a conversation about what he just did”.
- Anthony Hopkins as Odin: The king of Asgard, father of Thor, and adoptive father of Loki, based on the deity of the same name, who disapproves of Thor’s relationship with Jane Foster.
Additionally, Clive Russell plays Tyr, based on the deity of the same name and Richard Brake portrays a captain in the Einherjar.
Thor co-creator Stan Lee has a cameo appearance,
and Chris O’Dowd is cast in an unspecified role.
Thor: The Dark World (also known as Thor 2) is produced by Marvel Studios and distributed by Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures. It will be the sequel to 2011’s Thor and the eighth installment in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Alan Taylor directed the screenplay by Christopher Yost, Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely, which stars Chris Hemsworth, Natalie Portman, Tom Hiddleston, Stellan Skarsgård, Idris Elba, Christopher Eccleston, Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje, Kat Dennings, Ray Stevenson, Zachary Levi, Tadanobu Asano, Jaimie Alexander, Rene Russo and Anthony Hopkins. Thor: The Dark World is scheduled to be released on November 8, 2013.Set one year after The Avengers, Thor battles to save all the Nine Realms from a mysterious enemy older than the universe itself. However, a primeval race led by Malekith, who is out for revenge, intends to plunge the universe into darkness. Confronted by an enemy that even Odin and Asgard cannot overcome, Thor must reunite with Jane Foster and set out on a dangerous journey that will force him to make the ultimate sacrifice.CAST: