Sony Pictures announced on Friday that Spider-Man would stay in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, with Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige coproducing the third “Spider-Man” movie in the MCU.
I must say I am not surprised by the dramatic reversal for Sony and Disney, which had previously failed to reach a deal over the character’s future in the MCU. There is too much money involved and too much talent on the Marvel side for Sony and Marvel not to work together again.
The new deal was signed late on Thursday night. Negotiations involved top players from both studios, including Sony Pictures chief Tom Rothman, Feige, and Walt Disney Studios co-chairs Alan Horn and Alan Bergman. In exchange for lending Feige’s producing prowess, Marvel and Disney will receive roughly 25% of the profits, according to insiders. Disney will retain its merchandising rights and will put up roughly a quarter of the financing. As part of the arrangement, Spider-Man will also appear in one future Marvel Studios film. (From Variety)
“I am thrilled that Spidey’s journey in the MCU will continue, and I and all of us at Marvel Studios are very excited that we get to keep working on it,” Feige said in a statement. “Spider-Man is a powerful icon and hero whose story crosses all ages and audiences around the globe. He also happens to be the only hero with the superpower to cross cinematic universes, so as Sony continues to develop their own Spidey-verse you never know what surprises the future might hold.”
“We have had a great collaboration over the last four years, and our mutual desire to continue was equal to that of the many fans,” said Robert Lawson, chief communications officer for Sony Pictures Entertainment. “We are delighted to be moving forward together.”
Star Tom Holland will return to the role of Spider-Man for the third movie, which is scheduled for release on July 16, 2021.